WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A COLLECTION AGENCY
- Place past due accounts with a collection services agency on a contingency fee basis, never pay up front collection fees or commit to any other fees;
- Use a collection agency that treats your clients, customers or patients in a manner that you are comfortable with;
- Use a collection agency that skip traces (locating debtors) and reports past due accounts to the credit bureaus without charge;
- Use a collection agency that is affiliated with collection attorneys in the event that legal action is necessitated;
- Do not sign a contract with a collection agency that locks up your accounts with them for a long period of time or does not allow you to quickly take back your accounts from them if no positive collection activity has taken place;
- When remitting accounts for collection, supply a detailed invoice of products or services rendered, an agreement signed by the debtor, if one exists, and all demographic information about the debtor (i.e. application form).
Washington DC, Northern Virginia and the surrounding areas